We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Whatever the variety, the summer resident, before purchasing, is looking for detailed information about the characteristics and features of the selected type of tree. Ruby apple trees have a lot of positive reviews, this adds to their popularity. It is necessary to take care of the tree, form the crown correctly and promptly remove diseased and deformed branches.
Description of the variety
To make a decision on growing the Rubin apple variety, the summer resident needs to study all the available information. Based on the description, understand how to properly plant a tree and take care of it.
Czech breeding of the variety is very close to the German variety Rubin Star. Graft it on mm – 106 or mm – 26 stock. As a result, the tree is shorter, and the harvest is much easier:
- the crown is beautiful, spreading, skeletal branches hang down;
- the back of the leaves is strongly pubescent, the color is dark green, the shape is oblong;
- the flowers are snow-white, characteristic of the apple tree;
- the tree is long-lived, from sources it turns out that some specimens reach 50 years of age;
- the shape and weight of the fruit is almost the same;
- apple weight 500 g;
- the color of the fruit is yellow, covered with a layer of pink on top;
- the skin is thin;
- the pulp is dense;
- sour taste;
- stored for a long time.
The ready-to-eat fruits have a ruby hue. Summer residents choose this variety for the high taste characteristics of the fruit and the ability to preserve fresh fruit for a long time at home.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Rubin, like other apple varieties, has positive and negative characteristics. Each gardener thinks about their importance in different ways, so they draw conclusions on their own. This is due to different attitudes towards certain characteristics.
- high productivity;
- great fruit taste;
- the apples are large, almost the same;
- stored for a very long time;
- the tree does not require special care;
- winter hardiness;
- high immunity to diseases.
When optimal storage conditions are created, the presentation and taste characteristics are preserved until mid-spring.
- bears fruit for the first time in the 5th year in the absence of care;
- requires crown formation;
- requires preventive treatments for pests and some diseases.
When fulfilling the requirements of agricultural technology, problems with cultivation should not arise. It is important to be patient and follow the recommendations.
Dimensions of the tree
The Ruby apple tree is very sprawling and vigorous. The tree reaches a height of 4 m. Grafted on a special rootstock, the height is 2.5 m. The seedling grows at a particularly strong pace for the first few years. Then the intensity drops, and the apple tree stops reaching up.
On a wild stock, an apple tree grows up to 5 m, it is less demanding on the formation of the crown. In this case, they do without it.
Productivity and taste of fruits
The peculiarity of Rubin apple trees is that from the moment of the first fruiting, the volume of the harvest is constantly increasing. The increase continues for 7 years. They have no periodicity. The variety is capable of producing crops for many years in a row.
An important condition is compliance with agrotechnical requirements. The implementation of proper care leads to the stabilization of the crop.
Rubin has excellent taste qualities of apples. According to the tasters, it is almost 4.9 points out of 5 possible. The characteristic sourness refreshes, and the aroma of the fruit remains throughout the entire storage period.
This apple variety tolerates winter well, but summer residents are advised to cover the trunk circle. Dry grass or plant debris is used as a safety net.
The apple tree species is resistant to powdery mildew and scab. But despite this, it is required to carry out preventive treatment in spring and autumn. They use folk remedies and chemicals.
Bait traps are used to control pests. Their composition depends on which insect the gardener is fighting with.
The timing of flowering and ripening of fruits
The apple tree blooms from the beginning of April, depending on the region of cultivation, the dates are shifted in both directions. Ripening occurs at the end of September. At this time, it is necessary to remove the Ruby apples and store them.
The shelf life is long, the fruits are in demand in the market. In addition to appearance, apples retain their aroma and taste.
Before cleaning in storage rooms, you should sort out the fruits with high quality. Large, even specimens are selected, without defects. They are placed in wooden boxes and sprinkled with straw or sawdust. Periodically during the winter, you should sort them out, removing the spoiled apples. When stored properly, the fruit lasts until mid-March.
The Rubin variety grows in many regions, breeders have tried to instill resistance to low temperatures, drought and diseases characteristic of the culture.
The Pink Ruby has several apple trees that are similar in characteristics. These are Rubin Gold, Rubin Star, Rubin Dark. These trees are highly immune to disease, resistant to cold and capable of producing crops without interruption. Distinctive features are some of the external characteristics. The size of the tree, the shape and color of the fruit. Otherwise, they are almost the same.
Reviews of gardeners regarding the Rubin apple tree
Summer residents who are engaged in the cultivation of fruit trees acquire for themselves varieties that satisfy the needs of the family as much as possible. Apples are grown for fresh consumption, storage for the winter and processing. A beginner gardener is confused, it is difficult for him to make a choice on his own. He appeals to experienced like-minded people who have already dealt with this variety:
- Samira: “The apple tree belongs to the semi-dwarf varieties of fruit trees. Therefore, summer residents choose it for growing in garden plots. It has been growing for me for 5 years. Although the harvest is not very large, I love her for its excellent taste and aroma. I keep the fruits in the refrigerator. They are able to lie for more than six months without losing their taste and external characteristics. If stored in boxes with sand, then they will lie in them for 4-5 months. The apple tree suffers from powdery mildew, so you have to handle it. "
- Aleksey: “The family loved the delicious fruits of this apple tree. I have been growing for 4 years, the yield is good, I periodically fight against pests and diseases. I try to process with folk remedies, but it does not always save. Therefore, you have to use chemistry. The rest is an excellent apple tree that does not require a lot of effort and time to care. "
- Anastasia: “After reading the reviews, I decided to try to grow an apple tree. I took a seedling on a wild stock, many summer residents advised. There is less maintenance, the yield is higher, the tree is stronger. So far, everything is justified, except for the harvest, of course. I try not to interfere especially, the seedling is growing for the 3rd year. There is no special care for it, I just water it and periodically add supporting dressings. I'm waiting for the first fruits. "
Growing an apple tree Ruby is a laborious task. The plant requires crown formation, top dressing. A tree without maintenance does not give the declared yield. Therefore, it is not worth setting up in advance, which will be easy and simple.