We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Potato "Elizabeth" is one of the oldest varieties of Russian selection. This mid-early table variety cultivated by the Vsevolozhsk breeding station gains market value three months after planting.
History of Variety Breeding
This seven-species hybrid originates from the use of gene material from potato forms such as S.vernei, S.phureja, S.acaule, S.demissum, S. stoloniferum, S.andigenum, as well as S. tuberosum. The variety was bred by Osipova E.A., Zueva O.I., Tsarkov N.I., Evdokimova Z.Z. Pelly A.A. and Bryantseva E.V. and entered into the State Register exactly twenty years ago. The variety is approved for cultivation in the Northwest, Central, Northern, Volga-Vyatka, North Caucasus and Far Eastern regions of our country.
Potato "Elizabeth" forms erect, compact, medium-tall bushes, which are characterized by medium branching and strong leafiness. Leaves can be both medium-sized and quite large, of medium degree of dissection, green staining, slightly pubescent. The whisk of flowers is painted white. The period from seedlings to technical maturity is about 90 days.
Root crops are oval with a smooth peel of light beige color; small eyes are present on them. The flesh is white, not darkening during cleaning and heat treatment. The content of starch in the roots can vary from 13% to 18%. The average weight of one root crop reaches 142 g. The value of this popular variety is its high yield, as well as the friendly formation of root crops with good taste.
The variety is relatively rarely affected by viral diseases and scab, and also has medium resistance to dry Fusarium rot. The description of the variety, as well as its characteristic given by the originator, suggests a high susceptibility to damage by alternariosis. Marketability of root crops is 79-96%. Keeping quality reaches 93%. The total yield is 290-400 kg / ha.
Potato "Elizabeth": harvest
Potato "Elizabeth" is not very whimsical to the conditions of planting, but the best result and the highest yield are observed when planting in light sod-podzolic sandy loam sand, well-cultivated soil. However, planting dates should be observed, given the regional characteristics of climate, weather and soil composition:
- choosing a term it is important to remember that very often a decrease in yield is caused not only too early, but also by late planting of potatoes;
- optimal planting dates always coincide with soil warming to a depth of 10 cm to 8-9 ° C heat;
- Before planting, pre-sowing preparation should be carried out, which consists in the germination of tubers before the formation of sprouts up to 3-4 cm;
- vernalization or air-thermal heating of potato tubers shows good results;
- physical indicators of the readiness of the soil for planting are as follows: the soil does not stick to the shovel during digging, but does not crumble after being compressed by hand;
- heavy and clay soil during autumn and spring preparation must be improved by applying such disintegrants as sand, peat, compost-OZhZ, as well as adding soil with Bionex organic fertilizer.
To increase the yield and accelerate the maturation of tubers, it is recommended to process the planting material with the Gumi preparation.
Potato "Elizabeth" is popular in part due to its unpretentiousness. It’s enough to carry out basic care activities, to get a full and high yield of high-quality root crops:
- the implementation of early loosening of plantings using a garden rake to a depth of not more than 3.5-4.0 cm;
- a prerequisite for obtaining a high yield is loosening the soil after rains and irrigation to remove soil crust;
- carrying out hilling several times a season not only becomes relevant for return frosts, but also with the aim of improving tuberization;
- it is very important to carry out at least three top dressings using fertilizers such as Effekton, superphosphate and potassium sulfate;
- in the budding phase, thorough weeding with subsequent watering with the Semitsvetik fertilizer solution gives a good effect.
Regularly it is required to inspect potato plantings and, if necessary, spray plants with special chemical means of protection against diseases and pests.
Reviews of vegetable growers
Potato "Elizabeth" is especially popular with potato growers in the northern and central regions of Russia. Over the years, this variety has consistently received positive reviews and high ratings thanks to excellent characteristics, among which - high yield regardless of weather conditions, as well as excellent taste and quality of root crops.
Planting Potatoes: A Cropless Method
However, the disadvantage of this type of potato is its increased sensitivity to macrosporiosis. Bacterial rot and macrosporiosis are very weak points of this variety. Relatively recently, a new variety was obtained under the name "Elizabeth Plus", which is a potato resistant to the attacks of the Colorado potato beetle.